It is basically a combination of a six-shooter firearm and a melee weapon, allowing Touya the ability to attack at long and close ranges. The Gunblade has been equipped with several spells using the Program Spell.
The first and original Brunhild was made of the horn of the black dragon that Touya and his companions slew in the Kingdom of Mismede. This original gun was loosely based on the Remington New Model Army revolver. However, when Touya acquired the Workshop of Babylon, he scanned this earlier model and recreated it using Mithril, and improving its capabilities.
- Automatic Reload - By using the command Reload, the gun will use the「Aports」spell to expel the spent cartridges and reload the empty chambers with new rounds from a 1-meter radius.
- Sword Blade - The dagger blade below the gun barrel will extend to the length of a long sword's and the handle will become a hilt with the command Sword Mode. This is achieved through the Modeling Spell. The weapon will revert back to its gun configuration with the command Gun Mode.
- Safety Mode - A new form that Touya added that is similar to Sword Mode albeit with a dulled edge. It is primarily used to engage in non-lethal close range combat.
- Rubber Bullet Ammunition - Though not lethal to humans, they can still cause considerable pain and can damage objects.
- Crystal Bullet Ammunition  - Bullets created from the remains of defeated Phrase. Especially useful when fighting the Phrase themselves.
- Explosive Bullet Ammunition  - Bullets that explode on contact with the enemy.
- Infinite Slip Bullet Ammunition  - Bullets that have been enchanted with the Null Magic, Slip. When fired at an enemy it will invoke the spell continuously depending on the amount of magic poured into it.
- Touya based its name on a Norse goddess.