|Spoiler Alert: The following article has information not currently present in the anime or manga. Do not proceed unless you want to be spoiled. |
Sango (珊瑚 Sango?) formerly known as The Black Monarch (玄帝 Gentei?) is a companion and contracted beast of Touya on his journey. She is the half of the Genbu (玄武 Genbu?), the other half being Kokuyou, and together they are one of the Four Heavenly Beasts and also the leader of the Scaled Creatures.
Sango's true appearance is a 4-meter-high tortoise. She and Kokuyou are both an union being and inextricable. After Kohaku told them about the trouble that they might cost because of their form, they then changed their appearance in similar way to the Kohaku's form.
During her first meeting with Touya at the beach Sango came across as both prideful and arrogant and gave the impression that she looked down on humans as well, an example of this is shown when she talked down on Kohaku for contracting herself to a human and doubted that Touya could defeat her. However after Touya passes her test by combat(through a continuous use of Slip) she has shown herself to be loyal, helpful and respectful of Touya.
The Genbu (玄武 Genbu?) which later known as, Sango and Kokuyou, are one of the divine beast that can manifest in the world once every few decades or centuries, unless they are being summoned by human .
- Touya Mochizuki: The person who both summoned them and defeated him in battle. After the battle they both agree to join Touya as one of his companions.
- Intimidation Aura: Sango and Kokuyou are able to release suppressing aura that render all individual, which have lower magic level in respect to the divine beast, becomes immobile.
- Long-Ranged Telepathic Communication: Sango and Kokuyou are able to make telepathic communication with their master and among the divine beasts regardless the distance. They also able to include other people into this communication line.
- Form Transformation: Sango and Kokuyou are able to change her menacing true form appearance into cute young beast form (Child Form) and back as they pleased.
- Floating: When in her Child Form, she can float in the air while reducing her movement speed.
- Magic Barrier: Sango and Kokuyou have magic barrier that is able to repel all type of physical attack completely and also all type of magical attack with respect of the caster magic level.
"Then, this one will also from now on call thyself [Sango] with gratitude." - Sango accepting her new name from her master, Touya.
- Her name, Sango (珊瑚), is the Japanese word for Coral, symbolising her connection to water.
- Their epithet, Gentei (玄帝), is composed by "gen" (玄) of Genbu and "tei" (帝) which means sovereign, emperor, or monarch in general. Literal translation of this word is "monarch of Gen", which is meaningless. However the character "gen" (玄) of Genbu can be also read as kuro (くろ kuro) which means black. Therefore, Gentei (玄帝) is best translated as black monarch.